Food 52′s Healthiest: Sweet Pea and Leek Pancakes
Every Tuesday, we scan Food52′s delectable menu of recipes for the healthiest picks they’ve got—bringing you seasonal, scrumptious fare that’s really good for you.
It’s pea season, and here’s a recipe that makes the most of these springy veggies, which are full of important phytonutrients, vitamins, and minerals. It even includes turmeric, the trendy spice that’s making waves because of its incredible nutrition profile.
Sweat Pea and Leek Pancakes
3/4 pounds English peas, in their pods
3 large leeks (about 1/2 lb after trimming)
1/2 cup shallots, finely chopped
1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
3/4 teaspoons dried coriander
1/4 teaspoon tumeric
1 teaspoon dried dill
1.25 teaspoons salt, divided
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/3 cup milk, room temperature
3 tablespoons butter, melted
5 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1. Shell the peas and set aside. To prep the leeks, discard the green leafy tops and dark green stalks. Slice the leeks into 1″ slices and rinse well in a colander to remove any silt.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of olive oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add the leeks (don’t worry about drying them off) and shallots and season with 3/4 tsp salt; cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until softened.
3. Add the peas, parsley and dried spices to the leek mixture. Cook for 5-8 minutes, smashing with a wooden spoon or potato masher until about 1/3 of the peas are mashed. Let cool a bit.
4. In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, remaining 1/2 tsp salt, eggs, milk and butter together to make a batter. Fold in the vegetable mixture to combine.
5. Wipe down the sauté pan with a paper towel and heat the remaining 2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Spoon half of the batter into four large fritters and fry, about 2-3 minutes per side, until golden browned and crisp. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels and keep warm. Serve with Greek yogurt or crème fraîche and smoked salmon, if desired.
More healthy recipes from Food52.com: